HomeGeneral Discussion

Topics not related specifically to Anza Borrego

Any hurt yourself out hiking? Messages in this topic - RSS

Britain
Britain
Posts: 368


17 days ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368
Did a job on my ankle Thanksgiving day. 4 miles out in a bad place. Learned a few things. I couldn't feel any breaks in the leg but I do remember the foot folded up against my lower leg. Once I straighten my leg the foot popped back into place. Had my wife pull on the foot to see if was still attached and it was.

So next my next step was to rig up something. I usually carry duct tape but I took it out of the pack to use it for something else and didn't put it back. I had Ibuprofen which I quickly took about 600mg. I do carry a first aid kit so I looked into is another joke. Well, I did manage to get up and could lightly stand on the damaged leg. I limped for about a mile to the first rock pile. I told my wife "thats all folks" she should now hike out and try and get some help. Well the Ibuprofen started to work after an hour or so so I headed out. Knowing my wife she would need to follow how we got in to show anybody where I was so I would stay the route.

3 miles and 5 hrs later the wife is coming back. 911 wasn't answering. Well 4 miles back to the rig and 7 hrs to get out. X-rays show multiple broken bones and fractures. Sort of made me sick looking at them.

I will now fix the first aid kit to include this type of fun. Its put the boo into me but I'm sure once I'm good to go I wont act my age again and be out where I shouldnt be.

Never go to urgent care its a joke, Thanksgiving time at the hospital in EL Centro will be a long wait. Plenty of Sand People and Plaster City people worse off than I was. Then mix in the locals. Full house folks. Well, I'm splinted up plenty of pain meds. I need to wait until Monday to get pinned back together.

Stay safe people.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 416


16 days ago
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 416
Britain, So sorry to hear about your injuries. Man that sucks. Best thing to do now is to help the healing process. I've been down this road before. It's probably too late to ice the inflammation but I do lots of turmeric to reduce the inflammation. Other than that, rest,eat healthy and let the bones mend. Slow and steady rehabilitation works best for me. I don't like pain meds. Let your body tell you when it's time to walk. Slow and steady wins the race. Good thing you had a hiking partner and a medical kit. Anything is better than nothing. You did everything right. Just bad luck . Get well and you will be back exploring "Our" wilderness. Keep us posted on your recovery.
" Any hurt yourself out hiking"
Ha, I think I could write mini book on that subject. Mostly near misses and scary moments. I must be a cat because they say they have 9 lives. I am much more careful as I become chronologically gifted. I will share one of my more comical lesser injuries. I drove out to an obsidian butte on the south shore of the Salton Sea to check it out and photo. I had just drove 2 hours. I was on my first walkabout of the day of a 3 day solo camping trip. Well as I was climbing up the black glassy surface... slip...ouch. I stood up and had multiple pieces of obsidian glass sticking out of by elbow /arm. I had just left my truck 10 minutes and already I am injured! As I was bleeding pulling out the shards of obsidian and putting bandages on, In my head I remember my Wife telling me " be careful out there "
edited by rockhopper on 11/25/2018
edited by rockhopper on 11/25/2018
link
Buford
Buford
Posts: 120


16 days ago
Buford
Buford
Posts: 120
Ouch. Heal up quick.

It is something I often worry about. Worst injuries so far are over use injuries, cuts, scrapes, minor tweaks, and bruises. Most minor injuries caused by some combo of bushwhacking, cacti, loose terrain, steep terrain, minor falls, and rocks rolling underfoot.

I let people at home know where I am going and when I will be back, plus carry an InReach. I always have a down jacket in case of an unplanned night out.
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368


16 days ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368
Buford wrote:
Ouch. Heal up quick.

It is something I often worry about. Worst injuries so far are over use injuries, cuts, scrapes, minor tweaks, and bruises. Most minor injuries caused by some combo of bushwhacking, cacti, loose terrain, steep terrain, minor falls, and rocks rolling underfoot.

I let people at home know where I am going and when I will be back, plus carry an InReach. I always have a down jacket in case of an unplanned night out.

Yes, many people asked if I had Inreach. No, I didn't but I most likely will next time. It sort has put the boo into me but I'm sure once healed up I'll be foolhardy again smile

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
Buford
Buford
Posts: 120


16 days ago
Buford
Buford
Posts: 120
An InReach is not a miracle. It is electronic and could break. Even if the SOS is activated, it may take SAR until the next day or later to arrive depending on location.

My belief is one must get out under their own power if safe and possible though it might take longer. SOS will bring in SAR, but they will be put at some risk.

I am not a big believer in extensive first aid kits for hiking. There is no way to carry supplies for every scenario. I carry enough to stop a bad cut from bleeding, Benadryl for potential allergic reactions, and pain killers. I use trekking poles and could use them as a crutch and can try and Jerry rig a splint from them if required.
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368


15 days ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368
I usually carry a roll of duct tape. Good for if your boots come apart and other fixes. Its good at making splints if required. It was a tough 4 miles to get out, 3 dry waterfalls to boot. Lots of butt scooting! Yes, you do need to get out. If I had the tape I could have made a crutch, without the trekking poles It would have been really hard.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805


14 days ago
tommy750
tommy750
Posts: 805
Yikes, terrible that happened, Britain. Least you made it out. Have been lugging my Iridium 9555 around for the past ten years and have never needed it for a 911 type call but have never regretted having it. Obviously lots of new devices over that period of time including inReach. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend you carry one of them. Good luck with your recovery. Tom
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368


14 days ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368
tommy750 wrote:
Yikes, terrible that happened, Britain. Least you made it out. Have been lugging my Iridium 9555 around for the past ten years and have never needed it for a 911 type call but have never regretted having it. Obviously lots of new devices over that period of time including inReach. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend you carry one of them. Good luck with your recovery. Tom

Thanks, Tom, the good news is even with the multiple broken bones, fractures and most ligaments torn. Doesn't look like any surgery for now. Could be back on the trails end of January. Winter is not lost yet!

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 110


14 days ago
tekewin
tekewin
Posts: 110
Dude, that sucks. This is the nightmare scenario I worry about. Well, that and a cougar on my neck. At least you weren't alone and you self rescued despite the injury. Gotta feel good about that. I been lucky to only have minor injuries so far, but I have been battling hip bursitis for over a year. Physical therapy has helped but it lingers. Driving actually causes me more issues than hiking. Rest up and get better. The desert will be here when you are ready.

I have an ACR ResQLink locator beacon, but am considering an InReach so I can text my wife when I am safe but running late.
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368


7 days ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368
tekewin wrote:
Dude, that sucks. This is the nightmare scenario I worry about. Well, that and a cougar on my neck. At least you weren't alone and you self rescued despite the injury. Gotta feel good about that. I been lucky to only have minor injuries so far, but I have been battling hip bursitis for over a year. Physical therapy has helped but it lingers. Driving actually causes me more issues than hiking. Rest up and get better. The desert will be here when you are ready.

I have an ACR ResQLink locator beacon, but am considering an InReach so I can text my wife when I am safe but running late.



Thanks. Had a knee problem which was fixed and a minor rotator cuff issue. Got up to 10 miles feeling good and did this on an easy bunny rabbit trail. Though getting out was another experience. Guess hiking is a bit like riding a motorcycle, once you think your the master its tells you your not. I'll keep on Tom's and Daren's exploits to add to my wish list.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
+1 link
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 721


7 days ago
ziphius
ziphius
Posts: 721
Britain, glad you made it out safely. Heal up well and take it slowly. I don't own either, but Tom's satellite phone or an InReach Explorer should probably be part of my kit. I second Buford's advice. Have at least a space blanket or down jacket with you for exposure. You never know how long you will need to sit tight until help arrives. https://andrewskurka.com/2018/review-spot-x-gps-two-way-satellite-messenger/
edited by ziphius on 12/4/2018
link
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368


7 days ago
Britain
Britain
Posts: 368
ziphius wrote:
Britain, glad you made it out safely. Heal up well and take it slowly. I don't own either, but Tom's satellite phone or an InReach Explorer should probably be part of my kit. I second Buford's advice. Have at least a space blanket or down jacket with you for exposure. You never know how long you will need to sit tight until help arrives. https://andrewskurka.com/2018/review-spot-x-gps-two-way-satellite-messenger/
edited by ziphius on 12/4/2018


Thanks for the advice. Yes, I will be adding more items to my pack. I'm pretty much set up to expect to be stranded for a couple days. But I'll add a few items to the list.

--
Cant drive 55
Britain
http://icorva.com
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software